- Why Teach Kelly Kirby?
- Benefits of Becoming Certified
- Certification Requirements
- Attend a Teacher's Course
- Minimum age of 16
- Completion of the RCM Grade 8 Examination with a mark of 80 or higher
- Completion and submission of the course questionnaire following completion of the course
- A copy of an exam adjudication showing a mark of 80 or higher by one of your students (Prep A level and up). Experienced teachers may submit the mark of a previous student; new teachers should submit the mark after their first Kelly Kirby student takes their first exam.
PLEASE NOTE: Although any teacher taking the course is free to teach the Kelly Kirby Method in their studio, they may not represent themselves as a qualified Kelly Kirby Teacher in any advertising media until they have received their official Teacher’s Certificate. To register for courses please complete our registration form or contact us.
Kelly Kirby Teacher’s Course Course Date: August 24 & 25, 2019
Course Time: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Course Location: #5-12491 No 2 Rd, Richmond BC V7E 2G3 (The Arts Connection)
Course Fee: $393.75 ($375+ $18.75 GST)
Supplies Fee: $176.40 ($168 + $8.40 GST)
(Supplies include: 4 Kelly Kirby Books, Teacher’s Manual, Student Flashcards and Student Workbook)
Courses are available to learn the Kelly Kirby Introductory Piano method of teaching and for current Kelly Kirby teachers to refresh their skills.
Teacher’s Course Teacher’s Course This course is designed to give the teacher methods for practical presentation of music to beginning students from 4 to 8 years of age. It is also a refresher course for experienced teachers seeking new ways of introducing ear training, sight reading, scale building, transposition, technique, and theory. Complete instruction is given in the uses of the Kelly Kirby teaching materials and teaching principles. For a list of materials required for the course, see the Required Course Materials.
Course Fee: $393.75 ($375+ $18.75 GST) / Supplies Fee: $176.40 ($168 + $8.40 GST)
Refresher Course This course is designed for those teachers who have already taken the Kelly Kirby Teachers Course.
Course Fee: $125.00 Materials: $35.00 (+GST) for student flashcards and workbook. (Teachers should bring their signed Lesson Books from the previous course with them)
Additional Topics of Discussion Among the topics being discussed at the two day course will be:
- The psychology of teaching the young beginner.
- Preparation of Kelly Kirby teaching material.
- Detailed instruction for teaching each lesson (piano books I to IV).
- Use of visual aids to Kelly Kirby teaching (flash cards and combination cards).
- Adapting Kelly Kirby materials for students beyond 8 years.
- Parent-teacher relationships.
- What comes after Kelly Kirby for various age levels
- Professional teaching principles.